Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 6th October 2012, 07:52 PM

Default The Basis of a Winning System ?????

Race Prizemoney > $49,999,
> 28 days since LS and
> 4 runs this time in

A POT ?? eh, but a miserable one ..... but none the less a POT of 1.4%. I'm sure you can build on it if you find the right filters.

BTW There were 3,190 seln's for 245 winners

Once again, I wouldn't use this systyem as it's running too close to the bone.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:56 PM

Interesting post, barny

A quick look at today's major meetings using your approach...

Randwick
R5 NIL selections
R6 NIL
R7 NIL
R8 NIL

Flemington
R6 NIL selections
R7 NIL
R8 NIL
R9 NIL

I found it an interesting contribution in that you...
(1) put fwd the basis of a winning system
(2) then highlighted a "miserable" POT
(3) aluded to some potential via "the right filters"
(4) and posted the stats i.e. a large number of selections and few winners
(5) then you rejected your own system because it's "too close to the bone"

Are you able to explain:
a. how this is the basis of a winning system ?
b. why you have put fwd an argument that both confirms and denies the underlying premise, several times ??

Cheers LG
Old 6th October 2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Greystoke
Interesting post, barny

I found it an interesting contribution in that you...
(1) put fwd the basis of a winning system
(2) then highlighted a "miserable" POT
(3) aluded to some potential via "the right filters"
(4) and posted the stats i.e. a large number of selections and few winners
(5) then you rejected your own system because it's "too close to the bone"

Are you able to explain:
a. how this is the basis of a winning system ?
b. why you have put fwd an argument that both confirms and denies the underlying premise, several times ??

Cheers LG
In answer to your points LG (1) the result of my database (2) Fact (3) Someone could use filters to make this more profitable (4) Yes, once again facts (5) Yes

a. Because it has 3 rules which someone could improve on b. I have the ability to see both sides of an argument ..... it keeps my eyes open to all possibilities ..... the possibility that I could be wrong, and that would cost me money !!

Last edited by Barny : 6th October 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 6th October 2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny
In answer to your points LG

a. Because it has 3 rules which someone could improve on b. I have the ability to see both sides of an argument ..... it keeps my eyes open to all possibilities ..... the possibility that I could be wrong, and that would cost me money !!

OK - I can see how it all makes sense to you and justifies how you see both sides.

What I don't see is...
1. how this post is helpful to someone else who might read it
2. how someone else could improve on this approach?

Cheers LG

Last edited by Lord Greystoke : 6th October 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 6th October 2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I see how it all makes sense to you and justifies how you see both sides.

What I don't get is...
1. how this post is helpful to someone else who might read it
2. how someone else could improve on this approach?

LG

In answer to your Questions 1. With a couple of additional filters they might improve on it, and you might note LG that one of the filters is an unpopular > 28 days (freshened up) 2 . Do some research and find a few filters that are in sync with the base filters.

BTW, my additional filters give this an 85.1% POT on few selections, which doesn't suit most as they're sceptical about future performance of a system that is based on substantailly less than 1,000 selections (for instance).
Old 6th October 2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny
BTW, my additional filters give this an 85.1% POT on few selections, which doesn't suit most as they're sceptical about future performance of a system that is based on substantailly less than 1,000 selections (for instance).

Once again - I see how this is helpful to you. Not to anyone else, however - especially if most of us are sceptical about this kind of approach, as you say. Will also be of limited value unless we are able to see what you see regards the additional filters, or at least a hint in the right direction with a little more detail so that one can then do some meaningful research.

Cheers LG

PS Didn't you say that there over 3,000 selections in your stats? Or were you referring to the low number of winners??
Old 6th October 2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Once again - I see how this is helpful to you. Not to anyone else, however - especially if most of us are sceptical about this kind of approach, as you say. Will also be of limited value unless we are able to see what you see regards the additional filters, or at least a hint in the right direction with a little more detail so that one can then do some meaningful research.

Cheers LG

PS Didn't you say that there over 3,000 selections in your stats? Or were you referring to the low number of winners??

Other than mine LG, in recent times how many systems have you seen posted on here that show a POT ?? If you cannot think of any filters that are in sync with the base filters, or may be useful, then I suggest you do other things than try to put together a winning system of filters for testing. My original test showed there were 3,190 seln's. DYOR LG. Get a databse LG, then you'll not be asking for things to be handed to you on a sliver platter .....
Old 6th October 2012, 10:17 PM

Again I say, it's an interesting post barny.

There are many profitable systems posted on here that show a decent POT - both past and present, however.

You might also note that the POT on some of these can be greatly enhanced, without always needing to scramble for additional filters. There are 2 concurrent threads running at present which might just lead to some substantial gains with some additional focus regards just the staking strategy, I feel. Threads which offer up the method, selections and stats on a daily basis for open discussion, exploration, examination etc

This might just be the very essence or attraction of this forum as I see it - regular input of new ideas or a twist on old ones, freely shared insights, mutual respect, a positive contribution where-ever possible without the need for any semblance of negativity and a touch of humanity here and there which is sadly lacking in the outside world too often, I feel.

Which is probably why I come here most days.

Regards your comments on me needing to get myself a database, do my own research or asking for something on 'a silver platter', being lazy happens to be the exact reverse of my own preferred style of thinking and doing, and also the negative flip side to the very best contributions I have seen on here to date (and there have been many)

Just my thoughts.

Cheers LG
Old 6th October 2012, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=Lord Greystoke]There are many profitable systems posted on here that show a decent POT - both past and present, however.

[QUOTE]

You've asked me many questions and I've responded.

My turn.

Please post 4 systems from the past (I ask for 4 because that's how many I've posted recently) and I'll run them through my database and test them. TIA LG. I cannot test anything to do with newspaper polls or ratings etc ..... Just straight out data, and there's plenty to choose from LG, I'm sure you wont have a problem finding them.
Old 6th October 2012, 11:31 PM

No problem barny - happy to address any questions from you where mutual respect has been established. Also happy to provide a blast from the past for starters, even though it's well past my bed time now...

1. Top Don Scott rated
2. Top CP
3. Top Neural (default)
4. > Barrier 5 (from memory)

The well-respected contributor suggested it might be the basis for a winning system at the time I seem to remember, and he gave it away freely (if somewhat 'unexpectedly'). Note that he included the key filters without deriding the rest of us for not having the mental fortitide or elbow grease to go away and search for vital information he had withheld!

Good night.

LG

PS It would seem that apart from yourself - others here have read, recorded and tested some of the 'winning systems' freely contributed. (My spreadsheet numbers north of 50 lines).