Thread: ratings
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic
Mmm...I have used manual & computer generated ratings for over 25 years. The way I use them will not suit everybody but basically this is what I do. I look at the top 4 in the ratings. I pay no attention to the rated price. If I think the race is suitable, the actual market will dictate if I bet or not. A good example was Race 5 at Belmont today, my top 4 were;
The Blues........$7.00 SP
Razed in Flames....$2.60
Burj Khalifa....$21.00
The Cavaleri...$8.50
A total of just over 69%. More than enough to bet, and a nice profit with The Blues winning. I wish each race was that easy !!!
It takes a long time and a lot of patience to use ratings.

A lot of punters make the mistake of looking at the top rated runner only. This, in my opinion is a road to the poor house. You should endeavour to spread your bets according to the available market.

Do your records indicate that backing overlays only is no better than backing the underlays? I tend to think that this is true. Im working on some WA ratings myself and have found I can isolate the winner regularly in my top 4, with the return of these far outperforming the remainder. I tend to think your methodology has merit. Still a work in progress