Thread: Systems Fear
View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPixie
That's pretty much my bread and butter laying price range. This current bot is laying down to a floor price of 3.55 (although there looks to be a shorter one in the prices above) and up to 9.6, which is a pretty consistant ceiling price with me. Earlier iterations of this has seen the bot using 5.3 as the floor price. Anything below this was either breakeven or a slight loss.

Funny isn't it. There's no correct method, just winning or losing methods.

Hi AngryPixie,

Apologies for the late reply, I've literally been in the thick of it, sat between two Sri Lankans, going through a veritable roller coaster of emotions at the MCG. I'm glad I don't bet on sports matches because I don't think my heart could've taken it! What a match!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence in the quotation. One can probably play any price bracket with success, be it backing or laying, so long as you can accurately evaluate overlays vs underlays to your advantage.

My rule of thumb is to find a horse that I believe is 1-2 lengths better then the opposition in the chosen race. I then wait for the right price. On an average Saturday there will be 10-15 selections, of which I will bet between 4-8 of these selections depending on the price on offer. Watch enough races and you get a feel for the obvious factors that will make this horse favourite and that horse 2nd favourite etc. Sometimes the market will confuse you no end, in this instance, take a paracetamol (or 3 deep breaths), step away, then back your instincts.

I don't for a second pretend to know it all, however I know that what I do works, I assume it's the same with your lay selections. You understand the ups and downs, ins and outs.

My downfall for the best part of my early punting career was threefold; lacking direction, impatience and not demanding value.

Reverse these three things and you're in business.

The Schmile

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty