OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Internet delay (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=28629)

Mark 10th July 2014 02:13 PM

Internet delay

Hopefully one of the computer buffs can give a reasonable explanation.

Why is it that TVN on the free service is delayed by around 20-30 seconds? I did ask them and was given some old flannel about internet delays, which years ago I may have accepted, except that now, the delay for USA racing wherever you watch it, can be as little as 2-3 seconds. Anyone?, and keep it simple as my knowledge of the inner workings of the net is very basic.

Chrome Prince 10th July 2014 02:51 PM

It depends on the speed of your connection, the speed of their server and the quality of the video, also how many users are watching simultaneously. Some are delivered via flash player and others delivered via media player in another format.
Sometimes you can go to the track and see the delay difference between the screen and the actual horses, and that is live telecast!

The higher the resolution, the more buffering goes on which results in delays.
Cable users have it the best.

Shaun 10th July 2014 03:40 PM

Maybe the 4 letter F word might be the answer...............(Free)

Mark 10th July 2014 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, but I'm none the wiser.

PaulD01 10th July 2014 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Hopefully one of the computer buffs can give a reasonable explanation.

Why is it that TVN on the free service is delayed by around 20-30 seconds? I did ask them and was given some old flannel about internet delays, which years ago I may have accepted, except that now, the delay for USA racing wherever you watch it, can be as little as 2-3 seconds. Anyone?, and keep it simple as my knowledge of the inner workings of the net is very basic.

Hi Mark,

TVN stream via the internet I believe is deliberately delayed. Paying/home Foxtel subscribers receive the feed also in delayed time (in fact approx 2 seconds slower) than the commercial Sky feed that costs approx $350 per month for a single channel.

When you consider that 2 seconds is around 12 lengths then anyone trading in run is wasting their time unless they are prepared to invest the ~ $350 month to get the commercial feed. All of the serious in run traders that I know use it for obvious reasons. If you don't have that need and/or don't ever bet in the run then its a moot point.

Hope that helps.

Shaun 11th July 2014 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD01
Hi Mark,

TVN stream via the internet I believe is deliberately delayed. Paying/home Foxtel subscribers receive the feed also in delayed time (in fact approx 2 seconds slower) than the commercial Sky feed that costs approx $350 per month for a single channel.

When you consider that 2 seconds is around 12 lengths then anyone trading in run is wasting their time unless they are prepared to invest the ~ $350 month to get the commercial feed. All of the serious in run traders that I know use it for obvious reasons. If you don't have that need and/or don't ever bet in the run then its a moot point.

Hope that helps.

Exactly, that was what i was referring to, in around about way.

Puntz 11th July 2014 07:40 AM

~ $350 a month / 28 days
~ $12.50 per day / 24 hours
~ $0.50 cents per hour

8 Hour "work" day, $1.50 p/hour.

A Place betting system could maybe pay for it.

Mark 11th July 2014 07:50 AM

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Thank you, this makes sense.

stugots 11th July 2014 09:44 AM

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Hope that helps.

Had a muck around with 'in-play' a while back & while I wasnt aware that there was so much of a delay (2sec is an eternity in racing terms), it did appear that there was something not right about it all.

Bit of an eye opener for anyone betting in-play I would have thought.