OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   Horse Race Betting Systems (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Age or starts shall not tire them? (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=26918)

TheSchmile 2nd August 2013 11:53 AM

Age or starts shall not tire them?

Hi team,

A quick query on age related matters.

Do you believe limiting your investments to commodities aged <=6yo is a wise way to go?

Or perhaps if they're older than 6, they must have had no more than 40 starts max?

I'd be interested in any feedback!

stugots 2nd August 2013 01:07 PM

A longshot system I run shows it's best results in the age bracket 5yo-7yo, with 8yo-10yo acceptable, while 4yo & under is the big loser.

Pointy end probably suits those 6yo & under.

bernie 2nd August 2013 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots
A longshot system I run shows it's best results in the age bracket 5yo-7yo, with 8yo-10yo acceptable, while 4yo & under is the big loser.

I totally agree stugots

dave101 2nd August 2013 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchmile
Hi team,

A quick query on age related matters.
Hi mate

Older horse ie 7 years upwards, can be a real headaches for system analysts. I use a win to runs percentage rule, eg 80 starts must have won 20 and marginally less percentage required it it may only have had 30 or 40 starts. A good example is in Melbourne on Saturday. 'Another Prelate' is 99% in my system but the age and percentage of wins puts him right on the borderline. 'Spacecraft' is also close but is eliminated on weight. What I do on such occasions is to halve my bet on both horses so as not to totally miss out by not backing a winner, or conversely be satisfied with a smaller win.

Cheers
Dave

TheSchmile 2nd August 2013 03:17 PM

Interesting comments thus far, thank you kind folk for weighing in on the debate!

I have a few different methods I'm testing at the moment and it has been profitable leaving out the >=8yo's. I'm looking for further testing regarding the 7yo bracket.

Any further ideas/comments duly encouraged!

shifty 2nd August 2013 03:58 PM

TheSchmile, are you aware of the where the words come from in the title of the thread you have used?

TheSchmile 2nd August 2013 05:51 PM

Hi Shifty,

I am aware. Apologies if you found it in bad taste, it wasn't my intention. I've asked the moderators to amend if possible.

jose 2nd August 2013 06:28 PM

We all should know where it comes from, but what is there to take offence at??

dave101 2nd August 2013 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
Totally agree. The diggers all liked a punt... and it was used in a complimentary way.

Lord Greystoke 2nd August 2013 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
The potential for disrespect, perhaps.. as unintended as it was. Hence the follow up response from TS.

LG